What we can do using SQL
There are a number of things which can be done using SQL, Following are some of them:
- SQL can create a Database.
- SQL can create tables in a Database.
- SQL can query to the Database to get the information.
- SQL can insert records in a Database.
- SQL can update the records in a Database.
- SQL can delete records from the Database.
- SQL can be used to set the permissions or access control within the Database for data security.
- SQL can create the views into the Database.
- SQL can create stored procedures in a database
- SQL can create the triggers on the tables in a database
- SQL can create functions in a database
Where SQL is used
Suppose you are developing a news website where you have to display the trending news and old news as well. To do so either you can use a database to store dynamic pieces of information, or you can create the HTML page to achieve this.
However this can be achieved by creating HTML pages, but that is going to take a lot of effort and time. Also, you will have to link the pages every time at multiple places.
So An application (web or desktop) which displays the data from a database, you have required:
- You need a server-side programming language like .NET,JAVA,PHP,PYTHON etc
- A relational database management system like (MS SQL, MS Access, MySQL, ORACLE)
- To retrieve the data from database you need SQL
- To use HTML / CSS to style the page
SQL for all..
As you have learned that SQL follows the ANSI(American National Standards Institute) standard. And the SQL has different versions as well.
Most of the relational databases follows the ANSI standard and they all support major commands (like SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT, WHERE) in a similar fashion.
- Most of relational database systems have also developed their own additional proprietary extensions as well in addition to the SQL standard which only works in their system.
What is RDBMS
The relational database management system (RDBMS) is basically a software program which enables us to create, update, delete records from a relational database.
The Most popular databases like Oracle, MS SQL Server, MYSQL uses the Structured Query Language (SQL) to do different kind of operations on the database.